Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

Cupcake Wars in Haford County: It's On!


I was on Facebook over the weekend and noticed one of my friend's "like" of a Cupcakery in Havre De Grace. Immediately I looked at the page, and indeed, there is a Cupcake lady in Havre de Grace who already has over 600 followers. How have I not heard of her before? Her shop is called Sweet Devotion Cupcake & Creperie and it appears that she will open a storefront location in the Havre De Grace area in early September. It will be located along route 40 (near Bulle Rock) in the small shopping strip next to Bruester's Ice Cream. Along with a variety of cupcakes daily she will also have sweet and savory crepes, scones and coffee. Sweet Devotion also does beautiful cupcake bouquets that are amazing and would be a unique centerpiece for a party.

Well Harford County, it appears we have 2 cupcake businesses which can mean some yummy and friendly competition.

Flavor Cupcakery has been public for about 3-4 months now and I can testify first hand that her product is delicious. There is not currently a storefront for the cupcakes, but 4 flavors a day (Tuesday through Saturday) can be found at several Bel Air area coffee shop locations. When I spoke with employees of the coffee shop, it appears that she provides them with a dozen assorted flavors each day along with some sampler packs. She also does custom orders as well. I have already had my fair share and the flavors are really great. I have been hearing some buzz that a storefront is in the future so we will have that to look forward too.

Sweet Devotion is in another area of Harford County. At first I thought to myself..Havre De Grace, Aberdeen...wasn't my first thought to put a cupcake joint. But with the changing demographics of that area, BRAC coming in...this may work. I don't have a business or marketing background, but I think of cupcakes as "impulse" buys (outside of ordering them for events, birthday parties, etc). Most cupcake places I know in other cities tend to be in walking neighborhoods. This location will definitely require the forethought of wanting a cupcake. I think an ideal location for a "Cupcakery" would be downtown Bel Air. There is quite a bit of foot traffic for local businesses, the courthouse and various town celebrations. Let's face it. Cupcakes are downright trendy right now, so that local would be a natural and fit in with the shops such as Tiddlywinks, Tiny Toes and Tiger Lily.

I have not had a chance to taste Sweet Devotion's cupcakes yet, but I'm quite excited to try them! She already has a few things going for her in her favor. It appears she has a large following on Facebook, a storefront that will be open 7 days a week and many more flavors to choose from daily. While I do not live close by (this may be a good thing!) I will have opportunity to stop by a bit as it may be a great place to have breakfast while my kids are in Hebrew School in Havre de Grace.

I'll be back with a review as soon as I can!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had the pleasure of tasting Sweet Devotion cupcakes and they are as tasty as they are beautiful! I live about an hour away, but am planning on Sweet Devotion cupcakes for my kid's next birthday party.

Keri O said...

I am not only a fan, but have had Sweet Devotions cupcakes and can tell you how absolutely decadent they are. Living in the Aberdeen/HdG area, makes me all the more excited that I have these scrumptious bits of heaven to look forward to, every day not far from my house and childrens school! Not all good things need to be in Bel Air. HdG/Aberdeen have a lot going for them, and now we can add Sweet Devotion to that as well!

Anonymous said...

I haven't had a chance to taste Sweet Devotions cupcakes yet but can't wait for them to open so I can try one.

What really got my attention was the crepes. I am across the river on the MD/PA state line and find the idea of being able to get real crepes within a short drive a good thing. The cupcakes are an added bonus.

Since I would have to drive anyway I would much rather drive to Harve de Grace than deal with the Bel Air roads and traffic.

A late afternoon lunch at Sweet Devotion with dessert then a walk along the water to chase the calories away and maybe a stop in Bomboy's for some homemade candy to bring home sounds great to me.

Jill said...

Thanks for the comments! I am so excited for a cupcake store..I'm bursting at the seams! Can't wait to try them! My husband and kids are very excited too!

Anonymous said...

I have also had the cupcakes from Flavor Cupcakery and they are outstanding!! I am heading to Sweet Devotion today to compare. I do see on the Flavor website that they are opening a store in October, on Boulton Street. I'm excited about that cause that will be closer for me.

Anonymous said...

I had the "Kahlua and Cream" from Sweet Devotion and was utterly dissapointed. I could not for the life of me detect any "Kahlua" in the cupcake, just an average chocolate cake with extra-sweet icing. The shop is cute...looks exactly the way it did when it was a coffee shop.