Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year's Fiesta

So, when it is New Year's Eve and you have small children your options are pretty limited. Unless you can score a babysitter, you are pretty much limited to a few things. This year we decided to trek to New Jersey to have a "sleepover" at our dear friends house. They have kids roughly the same age as ours and we vacationed with them to Vermont this past summer. We decided to cook an extravaganza and spend the night playing trivia and pop culture games, all while the little ones sleep. Bliss!

My friend's decided since we can't eat out, we would bring "out" "in". We are going with a Bobby Flay, southwestern theme. They are doing the main course and some sides, and I am responsible for a side or salad and dessert. I prepped my dessert tonight and I have to say I did an amazing job with it. I made profiteroles that I am going to serve with vanilla ice cream and warm Mexican chocolate sauce. I made pate a choux for the first time tonight and it was surprisingly easy but impressive. Brian was my helper in the kitchen as I balanced cinnamon and cayenne pepper to achieve the perfect combination. I have to say I nailed it. You get the taste of the cinnamon, then the chocolate and then a slight burn from the cayenne.

I still have to think about my salad. This is going to be more of a challenge for me, since I am not into beans, olives and the usual suspects that accompany southwestern salads..but I'm sure I'll come up with something!

Happy Healthy New Year to all!

No comments: