Search This Blog

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Crossing State Lines



I know that the purpose of this blog is to report on places I eat in the Baltimore area(specifically where I live, in Harford Country), but sometimes you just have to go out of state, ya know?

We spent our New Years with our friends in Cherry Hill, NJ (a suburb of Philly). On the way home we were discussing what we were going to have for dinner as we were really tired and I knew I did not feel like starting to cook a balanced dinner tonight. We decided to stop at Bobby Chez's for crab cakes. Before you start sending me hateful comments on how I can go outside of Maryland for crab cakes, let me explain.

Bobby Chez's has been around for about 10 years or so and started off in the neighborhood of our friends. They have several locations in South Jersey area and recently opened a few locations in Philly. I have heard from others what an amazing crab cake they had. Now that I am a Maryland resident, I also had reservations. How can a place outside of Maryland even know what to do with a crab cake? Bobby's crab cakes are big. Softball size and breaded and deep fried. Again, not the Maryland standard. I too thought I preferred a simple sauteed crab cake with minimal filler. These crab cakes are too die for. There is barely any filler, and the lumps of crab are as big as my thumb (I have some pretty big hands). While, deep frying isn't my first choice in the ultimate crab cake it compliments it perfectly. They also sell ones that you can throw under the broiler, but they are not as good in my opinion.

You can eat at Bobby's, but it is mostly a take out place. They do have tables to sit and eat in. We have always taken our crab cakes to go and they give simple directions for reheating at home. They also sell killer sides, including macaroni and cheese, fried clams, fried shrimp and killer lobster mashed potatoes (which will be accompaning my crab cakes tonight).

So, not the most healthful meal tonight. But do you really want to read a blog about me eating a plate of steamed vegtables?

No comments: