Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2009

Slow Cooking

Sadly we have not been out to dinner this past week too much. A couple nights of take out of Subway, a quick bite at TGI Fridays, but other than that, we have been home bound. Tonight, I was was surveying the fridge and pantry for tonight's inspiration. I found some crab cakes I had frozen last month. I also had a big package of campari tomatoes sitting on my counter screaming to be used.

Funny thing is, I really don't like tomatoes all that much. Straight up tomatoes that is. In a salad, I generally asked to have them removed. However, I love tomatoes flavoring things..such as ketchup, spaghetti sauce, salsa, etc. I also love sun dried tomatoes.

I came across this recipe from Nigella Lawson for Moon Blush Tomatoes. She takes cherry tomatoes, halves them and adds a few simple ingredients and puts them in a hot oven and instantly turns the oven off. The tomatoes sit in the hot oven all day and intensify in flavor. They can be eaten alone or used in recipes. I decided on using them with goat cheese on a mixed green salad tonight. Along with the crab cakes.


Moon Blush Tomatoes (Recipe by Nigella Lawson, Nigella Express)

about 24 on-the-vine cherry or other baby tomatoes
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil

PREPARATION:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Cut the tomatoes in half and sit them cut side up in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, thyme and olive oil.
Put them in the oven, and immediately turn it off. Leave the tomatoes in the oven overnight or for a day without opening the door.

No comments: