Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Sweetest Thing


Wednesday is usually our "pinch hit dinner" night. My daughter takes dance after school and my husband usually picks up my son from daycare. By the time everyone gets home its after 6 and we are usually eating leftovers, pizza or picking up a quick bite somewhere. Tonight, my husband was in DC for work so he was unable to pick up our son, so I had to take him with me to dance class.

After dance, I knew I did not have the time to get home and get a meal on the table for the 3 of us, so I took the kids to McDonalds. We went to the Forest Hill location, since it was on the way home from dance. Very busy there tonight. The reason being their was a celebration going on. A large group (at least 25 people) of senior citizens were there celebrating a birthday of one of their friends. There is a nursing home/assisted living place right next door, so I am sure they are all residents there. They had a huge cake, a woman humming tunes on a kazoo, and one of the McDonald's staff members pouring the coffee. My kids got tons of smiles from this group, and my kids were thoroughly entertained by the group. No one offered my kids any cake, which was fine, as my son ended up throwing up in the McDonalds. Nice.

It got me thinking about being little and my own memories of McDonald birthday parties. Remember them? The happy meal, and the Ronald McDonald cake? Surprisingly, my kids have never attended a McDonald's birthday party. Until tonight.

No comments: